Raglan Road Irish Restaurant & Pub is the perfect place to enjoy Bread & Butter Pudding. Did you know that the dish originated in England in the early 11th and 12th centuries?
For the Bread & Butter Pudding
1⁄3 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened
12 slices white sandwich bread, crusts trimmed
1⁄2 cup raisins, divided
11⁄3 cups whole milk
11⁄3 cups heavy cream
4 large eggs
1⁄2 cup sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Sauce Anglaise
1 quart heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 egg yolks
2 cups sugar
HOW TO PREPARE THE BREAD & BUTTER PUDDING
- Generously butter bottom and sides of 8×8-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Butter both sides of bread slices. Cut into quarters to form triangles.
- Arrange single layer of bread in baking dish. Scatter 1⁄4 cup raisins over bread. Repeat with another layer of bread and raisins. Reserve enough bread to add a third layer just before baking. Gently press down bread and raisins. Set aside.
- Add milk and cream to saucepan and cook over medium heat until almost boiling. Remove from heat.
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, and cinnamon in a large heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Continue whisking until mixture thickens and whisk leaves a trail, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from heat and slowly add to cream-milk mixture, whisking constantly, until all ingredients are well combined.
- Pour about 11⁄2 cups of hot mixture over layered bread and raisins and press down gently with spatula. Allow to stand about 30 minutes, until bread soaks up all liquid.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pour the remaining hot mixture over the soaked bread and arrange the remaining bread on top. Press down firmly so that the custard comes halfway up the bread.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes until the custard is just set and top is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool about 10 minutes.
HOW TO PREPARE THE SAUCE ANGLAISE
- Combine cream and vanilla extract in a heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat.
- Whisk together egg yolks and sugar in a small bowl.
- Gradually whisk egg yolk mixture into hot cream, a little at a time, to temper the sauce. Stir over low heat until sauce thickens and leaves a path on the back of a spoon when finger is drawn across, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, strain into bowl, and cool to room temperature.
Serve the Bread & Butter Pudding with Sauce Anglaise or a caramel sauce.
The recipe is included in the Delicious Disney: Walt Disney World cookbook by Pam Brandon, Marcy Smothers, and The Disney Chefs. The book, featuring recipes and stories from the most magical place on Earth, will be exclusive to Disney Parks and shopDisney (online) beginning on September 28th as part of the 18-month celebration of Walt Disney World’s 50th anniversary. As of April 5th, it will be available wherever books are sold.
Owned and operated by Irish partners John Cooke and Paul Nolan, the much-loved Irish eatery, renowned for daily Irish stage performances by dance troupes and bands, celebrated its 15th anniversary in Orlando this year. Did you know that the restaurant’s warm interior of aged walnut and mahogany woods from old Irish bars and churches was built in Ireland and shipped to Orlando?
For all there is to see and do at Walt Disney World, check out The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World.If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to our YouTube channel and sign up for our newsletter here. Be sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. This article was published first by The Mouse for Less.