Sanaa, the African-Indian restaurant located at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village, offers a unique experience that is not to be missed.
I have often dined at Sanaa and always start the meal with the naan bread sampler. The Indian-style bread service comes with a choice of five different breads – Traditional Naan, Garlic-Ginger Naan, Spiced Naan, Onion Kulcha, or Paneer Paratha, all made in the restaurant’s tandoor ovens. The warm bread is accompanied by Cucumber Raita, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, Mango Chutney, Tomato-Date Jam, Tamarind Chutney, Coriander Chutney, Garlic Pickle, Red Chile Sambal, and Spicy Jalapeño-Lime Pickle.
The chefs at Sanaa recently shared an easy recipe for naan made in the oven as well as a recipe for Cucumber Raita. The naan is delicious as a side, a sandwich, or as a base for pizza. The Cucumber Raita goes well with Indian meat and rice dishes, or as a topping for a burger.
So, without further ado, here are the recipes:
Makes 5 (8-inch) naan
3 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup warm water
1 tablespoon canola oil
4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; stir to combine.
- Pour milk, water, and oil into a medium bowl; whisk to combine.
- With mixer running, pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. As soon as mixture comes together, switch attachment to a dough hook and mix until dough is smooth and no longer sticky. Do not overmix.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Place a pizza stone on top rack of oven, positioned approximately 6 inches below the broiler. Preheat oven to 500°F for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide dough evenly into 5 pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into an 8-inch circle.
- Turn oven to broil. Carefully slide one circle of dough onto the preheated pizza stone, and broil until bread is bubbled and golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Watch carefully, as the bread can burn very quickly. Repeat with remaining dough rounds.
- Brush the warm bread with melted butter and serve immediately.
Makes 2 cups
1 1/2 cups Greek-style plain yogurt
1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
1/2 small jalapeño pepper, seeds and stem removed, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and freshly ground
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon coarse salt
Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Chill before serving.
Note: Always use caution when handling sharp objects and hot contents. Please supervise children who are helping or nearby. This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
If you are visiting Sanaa on your next trip to Walt Disney World, and I hope you will, try to be seated at one of the 9-foot-tall windows that look out on the resort’s savanna. Enjoy the view as giraffes, water buffalo, and other animals wander within yards of you as you dine.
For more information on Sanaa and to view their menus, visit the website.
For all there is to see and do at Walt Disney World, check out The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to our YouTube channel and sign up for our newsletter here. Be sure to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.